Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Opposable Thumbs

We use them every day, quite constantly, actually. And I've realized how much I take my o.t.'s for granted. Try doing anything without them: buttoning jeans, opening the frig, making a PB&J, typing . . . the list goes on and on. From morning to night, all day long we use our opposable thumbs for nearly every task. I am guilty of not putting any thought towards these stubby digits since high school biology. But now that I am temporarily down to just one, I vow to spend more time daily in appreciation of the wonder that is the human thumb.

While playing a rousing game of dodge ball in the street yesterday afternoon, I learned two very important things: don't taunt the 6 year old neighbor holding the ball by shuffling in front of him while wearing flip-flops, and never play dodge ball without a video camera rolling. We would have had a great time watching my hilarious trip, stumble, and fall, over and over again. Yes, I fell. And I broke my thumb. Now I have to figure ot how to make chicken pot pie and chocolate molten lava cakes for Max's birthday tomorrow without the use of my beloved, un-opposable right thumb.

5 comments:

gr.nette said...

Gr/Gr: Oh, you poor thing. How's the wrist? Is it just sprained and does it feel better by now?
Wish we could help you with stuff....especially the chocolate molten lava cakes! (We'd have to sample of course.)

We love reading your creative writings, Bocano.

Jayne said...

Oh Beth! That is sad indeed, I'm sorry. You will need to post photos of the one-hand-created-birthday-treats for sure!

Just Jenne said...

Oh Bachano--so sorry. But I can relate a little. Right after we got to Ukraine, my thumb started feeling a little sore on the part right where you hold a pen, etc., on my left thumb. It was a wart! And now it is getting bigger and is so annoying and hurts. I guess i will have to get it taken care of. I've tried the tea tree oil, but doesn't seem to do anything! But I know a little about limited thumb use--nothing like yours--but trying to handle food, eyelash curlers (that's the worse), write, etc, it is all affected. I feel you pain (almost). Good luck!

molano said...

Poor Bachano! I got sore thumbs a long time ago when I was sick in the hospital and the levers to move the bed up and down were very stiff! I think because of my weakness and medication I sort of sprained my thumbs and they seemed to be weak ever since! Weird eh? Mel

molano said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAX, YOU BIG HUNK!